Saturday, September 18, 2010

Blogging The Butterflies Away





Joel played in his first dad coached flag football game today. It was a lot of fun to try and get seven 7-year olds to run an offense. It really is like herding cats...if cats had an attention span of 8 seconds :)

As I watched it occurred to me that life is a lot like coaching. My job was to be encouraging, make sure they have fun, and try to put them in the position to exercise their athletic gifts and be successful in this game called football and life.

This Monday we officially start Young Life College at my alma matter - Western Washington University! This journey to this particular point and time started two years ago when we moved to Michigan to be on YL staff in Ann Arbor (Go Blue). Staci and I had realized that we really wanted to share life with our college aged friends in Michigan. We also watched YL College start at the U of Michigan under Kenny Nollan as it grew from 45 students that first night to over 200 now.

Fast forward to November of 2009 when we interviewed in Bellingham to be on staff where both Staci and I started leading YL in 1990. We took the position and after months of praying, watching, and listening to God's Spirit we knew that it was time to start YLC at WWU. I can feel the butterflies and nerves starting to settle in as the doubts and anxiety start to whisper to me. We wont be the biggest or have the most interns or student leaders but there are three things that we will strive to be great at in ministry:

1. We will be great at creating and sustaining community.
2. We will be great at doing being present in the lives of college friends
3. We will be great at discipleship.

Greatness comes from God working through us not us working.

And so it begins....

Loran








Blogging for myself...ohoh...blogging for myself!

Location:Henry St,Bellingham,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment